Dear CCMG Fellows, Trainees, Program Directors and Examinations Committee members,
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the CCMG Examinations Committee, with approval of the Board of Directors, will postpone the spring 2020 CCMG examinations to fall 2020. This postponement includes the General, Written Specialty and Objective Structured Laboratory Examination (OSLE) components.
We have tentatively set the new examination dates to be September 15 and 16, 2020 for the General and Written Specialty examinations, and October 3 or 4, 2020 for the OSLEs.
These dates are tentative and may change depending on the COVID-19 pandemic situation. The General and Written Specialty examinations on September 15/16 will be held at the same locations as had been planned for spring 2020. At this time, potential locations for the OSLE component are being investigated, with the intent to hold all Specialty OSLEs at one location on October 3 or 4.
The CCMG Examinations Committee and the Board of Directors will be in regular communication throughout the next few months and will provide an update to all candidates, examiners and Program Directors by August 5, 2020. Should a further delay of examinations be necessary, this will be decided by that time.
To answer any further questions, we are working on a frequently asked questions (FAQs) section on the CCMG website. This will be available next week. If you have any questions, please forward them to the CCMG Management Office and they will be answered as part of the FAQs.
Stacey Hume and Kathy Chun
Co-Chairs, CCMG Examinations Committee
The Canadian College of Medical Geneticists prepares and administers examinations to certify individuals who provide services in medical genetics.
Candidates from all specialities who have been successfully reviewed by the CCMG's Credentials Committee must submit an Examination Registration Form along with payment for the examination by January 15 of the examination year.
Cytogenetics, Molecular Genetics and Biochemical Genetics Exams
- Examinations are held every two years on the even years.
- Examinations will be available in both official languages and candidates may choose to respond in either language. Candidates must declare their preferred language at the time of registration for the examination cycle.
- Examinations consist of a written General Knowledge Examination and a two-component Specialty Examination (written and practical). Both sets of examinations must be passed within a certain timeframe and the Credentials Committee must give final approval of the training program for admission into the CCMG as a Fellow. Detailed information about the examination process can be accessed here.
- Candidates who are already fellows of the CCMG (FCCMG) or of the Royal College (FRCPC) in Medical Genetics and who are sitting another Specialty Examination will be exempt from writing the General Knowledge Examination.
- Molecular, Biochemical, Cytogenetics Candidates Registration Form
- Clinical Candidates Registration Form
Cytogenetics, Molecular Genetics and Biochemical Genetics
Registration Deadline: January 15, 2020 - Late fee applies for applications received up to/including February 15, 2020. No applications are accepted after February 15.
General examination: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 – Accredited Training Centre
Written Specialty: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 – Accredited Training Centre
OSLEs: Monday, June 15, 2020 – Winnipeg
Clinical Genetics Exams
As of 2012, the Clinical Genetics exams are harmonized with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada Medical Genetics exams and are held annually in Ottawa, Ontario. Information regarding the Royal College examinations can be found at the following links: