The Canadian College of Medical Geneticists prepares and administers examinations to certify individuals who provide services in medical genetics.
Candidates from all specialities who have been successfully reviewed by the CCMG's Credentials Committee must submit an Examination Registration Form along with payment for the examination by January 15 of the examination year.
Cytogenetics, Molecular Genetics and Biochemical Genetics Exams
- Examinations are held every two years on the even years.
- Examinations will be available in both official languages and candidates may choose to respond in either language. Candidates must declare their preferred language at the time of registration for the examination cycle.
- Examinations consist of a written General Knowledge Examination and a two-component Specialty Examination (written and practical). Both sets of examinations must be passed within a certain timeframe and the Credentials Committee must give final approval of the training program for admission into the CCMG as a Fellow. Detailed information about the examination process can be accessed here.
- Candidates who are already fellows of the CCMG (FCCMG) or of the Royal College (FRCPC) in Medical Genetics and who are sitting another Specialty Examination will be exempt from writing the General Knowledge Examination.
- Molecular, Biochemical, Cytogenetics Candidates Registration Form
- Clinical Candidates Registration Form
Cytogenetics, Molecular Genetics and Biochemical Genetics
Registration: January 15, 2018
General Examination: Tuesday, May 22, 2018
Specialty Written Examination: Friday, June 8, 2018
Specialty OSLEs: Saturday, June 9, 2018.
Clinical Genetics Exams
As of 2012, the Clinical Genetics exams are harmonized with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada Medical Genetics exams and are held annually in Ottawa, Ontario. Information regarding the Royal College examinations can be found at the following links: